Applications are now invited for the Beacon Assistant vacancy at the Department of Rural Development and Land Reform. The open position is available within the Survey Services directorate. The hiring department aims to promote representivity. Ergo, people with disabilities, African and Indian females and Indian and White males are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
The successful applicant will be based in Western Cape (Cape Town/Mowbray). This job offers a level 4 salary that can amount to R 136,800 every year. In order to be eligible for the position, the minimum academic qualification you need to have is a Grade 10 or Junior certificate. This qualification must be accompanied by a 3 year working experience in the relevant field within the building trade. Furthermore, the Beacon Assistant vacancy at the Department of Rural Development and Land Reform requires all applicants to have knowledge of building trade and the following job related skills:
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Good organising skills
- Ability to work as a team
- Ability to undertake any physically-intensive field that requires a lot of times in the field
- Ability and willingness to live under camp conditions for 12 months
- Ability to work with technical equipment
- Be in possession of a valid driver’s license
Once you are qualified for this position, below are some of the key performance areas you will be involved in:
- Help with the maintenance of trigonometrical beacons, building, town survey marks and benchmarks
- Build benchmarks, trigonometrical beacons in line with artisan foreman (beacon builder) instructions as needed
- Maintain benchmarks, trigonometrical beacons as well as town survey marks in line with artisan foreman (beacon builder) instructions all the time
- Help the beacon builder with the handling of the logistical aspects of the beacon building team and help the beacon builder with the arrangements of off weekends or leave of the beacon building team
- Fill in for the beacon builder in her or his absence when needed
- Be responsible for the maintenance of the beacon building team caravan and vehicle all the time
- Be responsible for the maintenance of the store tents all the time and the tools and stores of the beacon building team
- Monitor junior staff
- Relocate camp when necessary
- Handle the work of the staff and the tradesman in line with the beacon builder instruction as well as the code of conduct for the beacon builders all the time
How to Apply
You can submit your application online by heading to this page.
If you have trouble during your online application, technical support is always available from Graylink from 8:30 until 17.00 from Monday to Friday at 021 424 8677.
You can also submit your application by post to:
Private Bag X10, Mowbray, or Hand delivered at 1st floor No. 14 Long Street, Cape Town
If you submit it manually please include the following important documents:
- Z83 application form
- A CV detailing previous experience and qualifications
- Certified copies of qualifications, ID document and work permit/permanent residency if you are a non-SA citizen (certification must be within 12 month period)
Applications for the Beacon Assistant vacancy at the Department of Rural Development and Land Reform must be submitted no later than September 7, 2018 at 16:00. No late or incomplete application will be accepted.