Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
South Africans are now encouraged and welcome to apply for the Military Skills Development (MSD) program at the Training program at the South African Army. This is a two year voluntary service system that provide you with the opportunity to enhance your skills, knowledge and experience should you happen to join or plan to join the SA Army for the first time. Anyone below the age of 22 can apply.
This MSD program possesses a long-term objective to enhance the deployment capability of the National Defence Force in South Africa. Interested candidates are required to sign up for up to two years, during which they will be provided with military training. There will also opportunity to get further functional training in their first year of service. In the second year of service, candidates will be deployed where required depending on the duration of their functional orientation. The Training program at the South African Army serves as an introductory to the military life for suitable candidates who are joining the South African Army for the first time. Candidates will be given the option to either further service in the Army or leave towards the end of the second year. Should they choose to continue to service, members’ performance will be taken into account and it is also subject to the availability of posts in the relevant fields. Members who don’t plan to continue will be asked to serve in the Reserve Force upon completion of the training program. This entails to days of service annually for five years.
To be eligible, candidates must:
- Be a South African citizen
- Be older than 18 years old and under 22 years old (graduates must not be older than 26 years old)
- Not be area bound
- Be currently in Grade 12 or have completed Grade 12
- Be free of criminal record
- Be preferably single
- Conform to medical fitness requirements for appointment in the SANDF
- Be prepared and willing to undergo basic Military Training, Functional Training as well as to serve in uniform
Candidates will be divided into three groups, namely:
- Those in possession of a recognised 3-year diploma or university degree (MSD graduates): candidates will be earmarked for leadership development and/or non-leadergroup training. As part of the selection process, applicants will undergo leadership potential assessment.
- Those who are above average school grades with leadership potential: candidates will be earmarked for training focusing mainly on developing their leadership potential on the first year of the program. Upon completion, members can be selected for either receive further training program and fill leadership positions or studies at the Military Academy.
- Those in possession of Grade 12 certificate: candidates will be screened according to their resumes, focusing on participation in sport as well as community involvement and educational performance. Further selection will focus on motivation, cognitive ability along with determination to join the Army. Upon successful completion, they will be earmarked for further training.
Please attain the application form on a PDF document on the Department of Defence website here
Information on how to submit an application for the Training program at the South African Army can be obtained from the nearest Recruiting Office.