Shoprite is now offering financial support for all South African students who wish to pursue their tertiary qualification and then build a career by working for one of the biggest retail companies in South Africa. Current matric students are allowed and welcome to apply for the Shoprite Bursary Program 2019!
Table of Contents
The Shoprite Group was established in 1979 in a small town in South Africa by the acquisition of 8 Cape Town-based supermarkets. As of today, the retail company operates more than 270 stores across 16 countries in Africa as well as Indian Ocean Islands.
Shoprite also owns 2000 corporate stores such as Checkers Hyper, Checkers, Checkers Liquor, Checkers MediRite, OK Furniture, House & Home, OK Express, Hungry Lion, Shoprite MediRite and Usave and Shoprite Liquor. Shoprite offers amazing opportunities for its employees and has passion for its customers and staff.
This year, the Shoprite Group is looking for qualified and suitable students who want to work for one of the biggest South African retail companies. If you are looking for an incredibly rare opportunity and a company in which you can grow and learn about a vast array of inspirational brands, then the Shoprite Bursary Program 2019 may just be for you.
The bursary scheme is intended to attract and fund future Innovative Programmers who have a vision for ensuring dynamic outputs in an area known for continuous change.
Bursaries are awarded for these programs:
- Retail Management or Hospitality Management
- Information Technology
- Accounting (CA Stream)
The award ranges from R 30,000 to R 60,000 depending on the course of study as well as institution. The bursary is meant to cover tuition fees, an allowance for accommodation and prescribed books.
Please note that there is a mandatory work-back requirement in that for every year that you have been awarded the bursary, you will be required to work at Shoprite for the equal amount of time.
Shortlisted students will receive notifications. Should you not receive any feedback in 30 days after the deadline has passed, that means your application was unsuccessful.
- Be a South African citizen
- Be a current matric student who has obtained at least average of 70% for the first semester, or currently studying within one of the eligible study programs (in this case you must have obtained at least average of 60% for the first semester)
- Accounting students: must be studying towards a BCompt or Bachelors of Accounting, leading to CTA as well as qualifying for a registered articles program (first, second, third year or Honours)
- Hospitality Management/Retail applicants:National Diploma:Retail Business/equivalent (first, second, or third year/B-Tech)
- Information Technology students:studying towards a BSc in Data Science/Computer Science/ Statistics/ Mathematical Science(1st year/ 2nd year/ 3rd year)
- Logistics students: BComm in Logistics (Quantitative Management)/ BSc in Operational Research or a relevant qualifications (first, second or third year)
How and When to Apply
Submit the following documents during your application:
- Certified copy of ID document
- Matric latest result if you are a current matric student
- Matric certificate if already finished matric
- Latest tertiary academic record for current university students
Apply before January 31, 2019.
For enquiries: 021 980 4000, or see FAQs