Indian, Coloured or African individuals who plan to study at a university level or are current tertiary students are encouraged to apply for the Tiso Foundation Bursary for Black Students should they need financial assistance. The program is open to students within all fields with preference being given to engineering, science, commerce and medicine.
Table of Contents
The Tiso Foundation was founded in 2011 as a public benefit organisation as a way to provide scholarships, bursaries and any other awards for teaching and research. Over R 100 million has been invested since the foundation was first established in over 50 students who have been beneficiaries. The Tiso Foundation intends to support 20 students annually. The organisation is collaborating with South African Universities to help identify underprivileged and previously disadvantaged students who show academic talent and determination. The Tiso Foundation Bursary for Black Students is not limited to specific study program. All fields of study offered at Universities (including Universities of Technology.
However, applicants from the following study programs will receive preference:
The beneficiaries will also receive life skills training and academic support. Students will also be able to have access to career opportunities through the Tiso’s network of relationships upon their graduation.
Prior to applying, make sure you meet all the following minimum requirements so as to ensure your application will be regarded.
- Candidates must be South African citizens
- Candidates must be over 18 years old and must not be older than 34 years old
- Candidates must be Black (African, Coloured or Indian)
- Candidates must intend on studying or currently studying at a South African university or University of Technology
- Candidates must have achieved overall average at least 70% for Matric and 65% for current university students (latest tertiary results)
- Candidates must be from a historically disadvantaged background
- Applicants must be able to provide proven financial need
- Candidates must be dedicated to your studies
- Candidates must be willing to take part in upliftment programs and give back to the community
- Applicants must have positive attitude
Submission must be made no later than September 30, 2018. Applications received after this fixed deadline will not be taken into account. Therefore, it is your responsibility to ensure a timeous submission.
Application form is obtainable here. it must be submitted as part of your application accompanied by the following supporting documents. Submission of all these items are mandatory. Any missing items will lead to disqualification
- Certified copy of ID document
- Certified copy of latest matric results for current matric applicants
- Certified copy of matric certificate for applicants who have completed matric
- Certified copy of latest tertiary results for current tertiary students
- Proof of acceptance or registration at a tertiary institution
- References along with their contact details
- Parents or guardians’ proof of household income (affidavit if unemployed or latest payslips if employed
If you need any further information concerning the Tiso Foundation Bursary for Black Students, please contact the organisation directly:
Fax: 011 784 4110
Tel: 011 784 4111