South African students who are in need of funding to cover their financial obligations for their tertiary education can now apply for the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) Bursary program for South African students. This is a full bursary program that will provide successful candidates with the opportunity to take up work within the company upon graduation.
The Industrial Development Corporation is a national development finance institution owned by the South African government and was established in 1940. It provides youth enterprises who undertake industrial development project with both financial and non-financial aid. IDC is under the supervision of the Economic Development Department. The institution has the objective to promote industrial development and economic growth as well as to contribute to sustainable job creation in South Africa and the entire Africa. The Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) Bursary program for South African students is available for students who wish to study or are currently studying in one of the following fields:
- Computer Science
- Agricultural Science
The successful students will be awarded with tuition fees, accommodation, prescribed books, a laptop and meals. Additionally, once students have graduated, they will be presented with the opportunity to take up work in IDC for an amount equivalent to the duration of the awarded bursary.
In order to be eligible for the bursary program, candidates must meet all the following entrance requirements below. Failure to meet all the requirements will result in your application not being taken into consideration.
- Must be residing in South Africa
- Must be a South African citizen
- Must be older than 16 years old and younger than 25 years old
- must have completed Matric or be currently in Matric
- must be studying or intend to study full time in one of the aforementioned study subjects
- Must be enrolled or intend to enrol at a University of technology or a recognised University in South Africa. It cannot be a private college or university
- Current matric students must have achieved at least B symbol for Science and Maths. Candidates must have achieved at least overall average of 75%
- Current tertiary students must have achieved at least overall C symbol or overall average of 65%. Candidates must have passed all prior modules for their respective degree
- Provide proof of financial need
- Must not be recipients of any other funding from employer or a bursary
This program will give preference for students from rural areas.
How to Apply
During your online application process, you will be required to submit clear copies of the following documents:
- Certified copy of grade 11 final results for candidates who are current matric students
- Certified copy of Matric certificate for candidates who have finished matric
- Certified copy of Matric mid-year results for candidates who are current matric students
- Certified copy of ID document
- Certified copy of full tertiary academic record for candidates who are at tertiary level
- Evidence of provisional admission or registration
- Certified copies of proof of parents’/guardians’ income. Provide the latest payslips if employed or financial statements/sworn affidavit if self-employed. Or provide death certificate or sworn affidavit if deceased, divorce certificate if they are divorces and provide sworn statement if they are separated.
For more information:
Industrial Development Corporation (IDC)
Contact Person: Ms Nolonwabo Nguqu
Tel: 011 269 3946
Email: [email protected]