Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
If you are always interested in Information Science, you can consider taking part in CSIR Library and Information Science internship program within the Library Technical Services Stream. This is a valuable opportunity that you shouldn’t take for granted, especially if you are looking for the experience to develop your skills and qualifications. Through such internship program, not only you can learn a lot of things, but you should also be able to have a direct practice right away.
About the Program
CSIR is the short for Council for Scientific and Industrial Research which is one of the leading and top-notch research organizations in South Africa in technology and scientific sector. Their main focus is to do researches, develop, diffuse, and localize technologies to accelerate and also boost socio-economic growth, well-being, and prosperity in South Africa. Their work has a great and significant contribution to the country’s development and growth.
And now, the organization is offering the CSIR Library and Information Science internship program for Information and Library Science with the purpose of enriching the candidates’ experience and qualifications. They want to provide the candidates with the access to obtain practical professional experience in information and library services field in the research and development environment – which will be based in Pretoria. The position is full-time so candidates are expected to dedicate themselves to the program.
There are some general requirements for candidates who are interested in this CSIR Library and Information Science internship program. The requirements are as follows:
- The candidates must be the citizens of South Africa
- They must have completed Matric – and have the certificate
- They must have a Bachelor degree with subject of Library Information Science
- They must have the experience and knowledge in Microsoft Office, especially Excel and PowerPoint
- They must have customer-service orientation and attitude
- They must have impressive organizational skills
- They must have good attention to details
- They must be able to be proactive and resourceful when issues occur
- They must be deadline driven and goal oriented
- They must have good flexibility, being able to work in a team or to work individually
The candidates would be performing tasks under supervision. They are responsible for:
- Shelving journals and books
- Monitoring and processing Interlibrary Loan requests on OCLC
- Performing quality control on journal and book collection, including on OCLC Knowledge Base
- Cataloging and classifying journals and books
- Providing client facing services
- Conducting subject specific literature searching under the Information Specialist guidance
- Weeding library material, when needed and if it is necessary
How to Apply
The application will take place online. Candidates are expected to visit this link. They need to create a personal account that will give them the access to the site. Then they can complete the application form, as well as providing the needed supporting documents for the program. The supporting documents include:
- A certified copy of ID document
- A certified copy of Matric certificate
- Certified copies of qualifications
- A comprehensive and updated CV
The deadline is on January the 15th 2020. Candidates who have questions about the details of the CSIR Library and Information Science internship program can contact them at [email protected] or contact the Recruitment Center at 012 841 4774.