The South African electricity public utility, Eskom, is pleased to announce that they are now offering a bursary program for South African students with strong academic background. Eskom offers two types of funding options namely scholarship and bursary. If you are interested to join this bursary programs at Eskom, read the full description below.
Eskom is the South African electricity public utility that was established in 1923 by the South African government. It is now the biggest electricity producer in Africa while simultaneously ranking at number 7 in the top global utilities according to generation capacity. Eskom operates many power stations including Kendal Power Station and Koeberg nuclear power station. In order to broaden the skill pool in South Africa as well as empower young students to reach their career aspirations, the bursary programs at Eskom is open for students who study in the following fields:
- Supply Chain
- Environmental Sciences
- Engineering (electrical engineering, electronic engineering, nuclear engineering, chemical engineering, metallurgical engineering, computer engineering, civil engineering, industrial engineering, mechanical engineering)
- Power plant operators
- Boiler makers
- Control and instrumentation
- Fitters and turners
- Engineering (electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering)
- Safety and risk
- Environmental science
The funding is divided into two options:
Scholarships: for children or dependents of Eskom employees – students are required to have an excellent academic background. Eskom employees must have at least 5 years of service.
Full Eskom bursary: students must have a strong academic background and are required to work for Eskom for the same duration of the bursary award
The bursary award will include tuition and registration fees, meal costs, accommodation/residence, PC allowance, prescribed allowance as well as a vacation allowance. Meanwhile, the scholarship award will include the same things as the bursary award but without PC and vacation allowance.
Students must fulfil the following entrance requirements before applying.
- Must be a South African citizen
- Must hold a National senior or Matric certificate or any of its equivalent qualification
- Must have a valid ID document
- Must have been granted admission as a full time student at a recognized higher education institution
- Must be willing to undergo an interview and a health declaration or medical exam
- At least HG ( C ) or 5 symbol in Math, English and Physical Science for candidates intending to study at University
- Must have passed all registered subjects for the current year of study for applicants who are a current student at a higher education institution
- At least HG ( D )/SG ( C )/4 symbol in Math, English and Physical Science for students intending to study at University of Technology/Technikons
- At least HG ( E )/SG ( D )/3 symbol in Math, English and physical Science for applicants intending to study at FET
How to Apply
Download the application form for each program here. Candidates must submit the following documents along with the completed application form.
- Latest university/school results
- Certified copy of ID document
- Proof of acceptance/enrollment at a tertiary study institution
- Motivation letter (affidavit to certify content)
Submit your application via email to [email protected]
Or, alternatively, hand deliver it to the closest Eskom office and this address:
3) Post (to your closest Eskom office post box) AND the following post box:
Student Development Department
PO Box 1091
the closing date for the bursary programs at Eskom is on July 31st 2018 and no late application will be accepted.