South Africans who intend to study in the Education sector should apply for the Funza Lushaka bursary program for South Africans. This program targets at candidates who will ultimately go back to the community by teaching at public schools. If you think you fall within this category then apply today!
The Department of Basic Education takes care of all schools across South Africa, from Grade R to 12 as well as adult literacy programs. The department wishes to create a sustainable education system in South Africa for the 21st century in which everyone has access to learning, education and training.
One way to achieve that is through the Funza Lushaka bursary program for South Africans. Student teachers who need study funding can apply. The program will be awarded for the following qualifications: postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) and bachelor of education (BEd).
- FET Phase Teaching (grade 10 to 12): majoring in any of these two subjects: accounting, economics, maths, technical mathematics, physical sciences, agricultural sciences, life sciences, technical science, geography, agricultural technology, languages, civil technology, computer application technology, information technology, mechanical technology, electrical technology, engineering graphics and design
- Intermediate and Senior Phase Teaching (grade 4 to 9): majoring any of these two subjects: languages, maths, technology, natural science
- Foundation Phase Teaching (grade R-3): with preference for African languages
The award consist of the following coverage: tuition costs, food and accommodation, study materials and textbooks and allowance for general living costs. Upon completion, students will be required to teach at a public school for the equal duration of their award.
- Be South African citizen with zero criminal record
- Must have been accepted into a suitable qualification at a recognised tertiary institution
- Able to show satisfactory academic capability
- have a passion to teach children
- Willing to teach at a school appointed by the Provincial Education Department
- Must not have any charges of misconduct/dismissed from work
- Candidates from rural areas or who intend on teaching in rural areas will receive preference
Visit this page for further information on eligibility criteria.
To apply for the Funza Lushaka bursary program for South Africans, you must visit the e-Government page and register for an account. Then, log in with the new account and choose the “Funza Lushaka bursary scheme” available on the e-service menu. From here on, you need to:
- input the OTP you received
- agree to Terms and Conditions
- tap on the 2019 application button on the dashboard
- complete all the required information
- confirm your information by reading and accepting the declaration
Make sure you’ve read the bursary information prior to applying.
Please attach these documents within your application:
- certified copy of ID document
- certified copy of latest matric results if still in matric or matric certificate if already finished matric
- certified copy of academic transcript if at university
- proof of registration or acceptance at university
Apply before January 11, 2019 for new applicants.
For more information, please refer to the academic and administrative coordinators of Funza Lushaka available at universities. Tel: 012 357 3000