If you are a Psychology student looking for an opportunity to enhance your knowledge and add your professional experience at the same time, then you should be thinking about applying for University of Pretoria Counseling Psychologist Intern program that will take place in Pretoria, South Africa. This full time position is offered to the potential and promising candidates who are willing to work hard and aren’t afraid of challenges. If you believe that you meet the requirements, then you should head along and submit your application.
Table of Contents
About the Program
This University of Pretoria Counseling Psychologist Intern program is designed for Psychology students who are eager to learn and have a direct practice. Through the program, they would be responsible for providing services in counseling psychology to young adults or students to make sure that they experience emotional wellness and academic success. The stage includes the guidance and training identification and development programs to boost the (academic) success of the young adults or students.
The appointed candidates will participate actively in these tasks:
- Career assessement, counseling, and report writing
- Psychoeducation sessions and group work for young adults or students
- Mandatory supervision – it would be a part of the training
- Counseling or psychotherapeutic services to young adults or students to make sure that they have emotional as well as academic wellness
- Data analysis – this would be a part of the research process
- Providing therapeutic sessions or services to a wider range of users at other (off campus) institutions. It is a part of the training in view of the young adults or students identified needs
- Development of therapeutic and training programs in view
- They must have a valid registration as a Psychologist intern with HPCSA
- They must have a proven and valid registration as a MSc or MA Counseling Psychology student within the accredited college or university
- They must have completed the course work as a part of the first year of MSc or MA Counseling Psychology training
- They must have successful practical work as a part of the first year of MSc or MA Counseling Psychology training
In terms of competencies, they must have the knowledge of brief and short term therapy techniques, psychological intervention within a professional level, HPCSA Code of Ethics and Conducts especially for Psychologists, and a range of assessments in psychometric.
- They must be able to diagnose psychopathology and psychological issues in Practice Scope for the Counseling Psychologist
- They must have ethical reliability and insight
- They must work together with external organizations when it comes to service deliveries to students
- They must have good interpersonal skills
- They must be able to manage crisis interventions
- They must be able to work in a stressful environment and in constant under pressure
- They must have the confidentiality, professionalism, and also the sensitivity towards students’ diversity
- They must have efficient prioritizing, organizing, and planning skills
- They must have a good flexibility based on the service demands requirements
- They must be able to work within a multi-disciplinary team
- They must have a good communication skill in both verbal and written forms
- They must have good computer skills in PowerPoint, MS Word, and email handling
How to Apply
Application will take place online at this link. Candidates must attach self evaluation, three referees detailed info (email address, names, and phones), certified copies of academic results, certified copies of undergraduate records, an updated CV, a certified copy of Student Psychologist registration with HPCSA, and certified copies of MSc or MA registration as Counseling Psychology student.
The deadline is on April the 15th 2020. Late submission for this University of Pretoria Counseling Psychologist Intern program won’t be considered.