Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
The Southern African Clothing & Textile Workers’ Union (hereafter referred as SACTWU) is honoured to announce the new SACTWU Bursary Program 2019. This award targets at South African students who need funding in order to fulfil financial obligations that come with studying at a University. If you think you might be eligible, submit your application today!
The SACTWU was established in 1989. It is now the largest union within the clothing, textile and leather industry in South Africa. It is also one of the largest affiliates of the COSATU (Congress of South African Trade Unions). The union is responsible for the negotiation of wages, along with the terms of conditions of employment for a huge portion of workers in this industry. As of today, SACTWU has over 105,000 members along with a total of 18 offices all over South Africa.
SACTWU has been managing the biggest bursary fund in the trade union throughout South Africa. The bursary program was initiated in 1975 and is granted to members, their spouses as well as their dependents.
This year, applications are invited for the SACTWU Bursary Program 2019. The bursary award consists of 75% coverage for the tuition fees. This program does not cover meals, residence, books or transports. Children studying at Public Universities will be awarded a maximum coverage of R 35,000. Meanwhile, candidates registered at Private Institutions will be granted a total amount of R 7,000. Spouses will also receive half of the above mentioned values.
Kindly note that applicants who are child dependants will be required to conduct 50 hours of community service.
- A member of SACTWU/ the spouse of a SACTWU member/ a legally adopted child of or a biological child of a SACTWU member
- Child dependants may not be employed full time and 25 years/younger
- Studying at a registered University/University of Technology in South Africa. TVET or FET colleges are not eligible
- Members must be paid up no later than July 31 (of the previous year)
How and When to Apply
Before applying, please read the bursary rules here.
Please commence your application by downloading and completing the application form.
The completed form must be submitted along with the following materials:
- Certified copy of ID document, members’ latest payslips and member’s ID document
- A colour photo (ID or passport size)
- Certified copy of matric result certificate and up to date academic record
- Certified copy of/original tertiary institution detailed statement of account for current year of study
More requirements are available here.
Applications for the SACTWU Bursary Program 2019 must be directed via hand delivery to:
3rd Floor James Bolton Hall
127 Magwaza Maphalala Street
Or, alternatively you may also post it to:
SACTWU Bursary Department
P.O. Box 18359
There are two closing dates for application:
February 28, 2019 (first semester and full year study)
August 8, 2019 (second semester)
Should you need further information, please contact the SACTWU Bursary department via:
Tel: 031 301 1351
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 031 305 1039