- South Africa
Website Volvo Group
Recruiter/Employer: Volvo Group SA | Job Opportunities Applications 2023
About Volvo Group:
Volvo Group SA is a leading entity in the automotive industry, recognized for its commitment to innovation, sustainability, and excellence. With a rich history that spans nearly a century, the company has consistently been at the forefront of driving progress in the transport sector. Headquartered in [Insert Headquarters Location], Volvo Group SA has established a strong global presence, contributing to the advancement of the automotive industry on a worldwide scale.
Mission and Values: At Volvo Group SA, the mission goes beyond the creation of vehicles. The company is dedicated to making life easier, better, and safer for people. Their commitment extends to customers, the industry, and society at large, reflecting a vision for a sustainable and efficient transport ecosystem. The values of Volvo Group SA are deeply rooted in a dedication to quality, innovation, and responsibility.
Industry Leadership: Volvo Group SA stands as a key player in the automotive industry, particularly in the production and maintenance of commercial vehicles. Specializing in trucks, buses, and construction equipment, the company has consistently set industry standards for safety, efficiency, and environmental consciousness. Their contributions to the development of cutting-edge technologies have positioned them as a trailblazer in the pursuit of sustainable transportation solutions.
Diversity and Inclusion: As an affirmative action, equal employment opportunity employer, Volvo Group SA is committed to fostering diversity and inclusion within its workforce. The company recognizes the importance of a diverse talent pool and actively encourages individuals from all backgrounds to contribute to its success. Embracing diversity is not only a commitment but also a driving force behind the company’s culture of innovation and creativity.
Data Privacy and Transparency: Volvo Group SA places a high value on data privacy. This commitment is reflected in their application process, where they prioritize online submissions to ensure the security and confidentiality of applicants’ information. The company’s adherence to privacy standards underscores its dedication to ethical practices and responsible handling of sensitive data.
Job Positions: Apprentice Programme (Diesel Technicians) at Volvo Group Southern Africa
Locations: Southern Africa
Ref Numbers: VGSA-APT-2023
Diesel Technicians: A Comprehensive Overview
Diesel technicians, also known as diesel mechanics or diesel engine specialists, play a crucial role in the maintenance, repair, and overall functioning of diesel-powered vehicles and equipment. These professionals are highly skilled individuals who specialize in handling the complex systems of diesel engines, ensuring they operate efficiently and meet performance standards. Below is a detailed overview of the diesel technician profession:
1. Job Responsibilities:
Diesel technicians are responsible for a variety of tasks related to diesel engines and the vehicles or machinery they power. Some of the key responsibilities include:
- Diagnostic Procedures: Identifying and troubleshooting issues using diagnostic tools to determine the root cause of engine malfunctions.
- Routine Maintenance: Performing regular maintenance tasks such as oil changes, filter replacements, and fluid checks to ensure optimal engine performance.
- Repair Work: Conducting repairs on diesel engines, fuel systems, exhaust systems, and other components to address malfunctions and ensure the safe operation of vehicles or equipment.
- Electrical Systems: Handling electrical components and systems associated with diesel engines, including starters, alternators, and electronic control modules.
- Brake Systems: Inspecting, repairing, and maintaining the braking systems of diesel-powered vehicles to ensure safety compliance.
2. Technical Skills:
Diesel technicians possess a broad range of technical skills, including:
- Mechanical Aptitude: Understanding the intricate workings of diesel engines, transmissions, and associated components.
- Diagnostic Skills: Proficiency in using diagnostic tools and software to identify and rectify engine issues.
- Welding and Fabrication: Basic skills in welding and fabrication for repairing or modifying engine components.
- Analytical Thinking: Ability to analyze complex problems and develop effective solutions.
- Attention to Detail: Thoroughness in conducting inspections and repairs to ensure all aspects of the diesel engine are in proper working order.
3. Educational and Training Requirements:
Becoming a diesel technician typically requires formal education and training. Common paths to enter this profession include:
- Educational Programs: Completion of a vocational or technical school program in diesel technology or a related field. These programs often cover topics such as engine repair, electronics, and hydraulics.
- Apprenticeships: Some individuals choose to enter the profession through apprenticeship programs offered by automotive or heavy equipment manufacturers. Apprentices work under the guidance of experienced technicians while earning a wage and gaining hands-on experience.
4. Certification and Licensing:
While not always mandatory, certification can enhance a diesel technician’s credibility and employability. Organizations such as the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) offer certifications in specific areas of diesel technology.
5. Work Environments:
Diesel technicians can work in various settings, including:
- Automotive Repair Shops: Specializing in diesel engine repair for trucks, buses, and other commercial vehicles.
- Fleet Maintenance Departments: Employed by companies with large fleets of diesel-powered vehicles, responsible for ongoing maintenance and repairs.
- Manufacturing: Working for manufacturers of diesel engines or heavy equipment, involved in assembly, testing, and quality control.
- Construction and Agriculture: Employed in industries that heavily rely on diesel-powered equipment, such as construction and agriculture.
6. Career Advancement:
Experienced diesel technicians may have opportunities for career advancement, such as becoming lead technicians, service managers, or even moving into specialized roles within the industry.
Volvo Trucks Southern Africa is excited to extend an invitation to dedicated candidates to join an apprentice program, ultimately qualifying as Diesel Technicians. As a Diesel Technician, you will play a crucial role in contributing to the advancement of the transport industry and fostering sustainability.
To be eligible for this apprenticeship program, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Completed NCV Level 4 certificate with compulsory subjects including English First Additional Language, Life Orientation, Mathematics, Engineering Fundamentals, Engineering Technology, Engineering Systems, and Automotive Repair & Maintenance.
- All subjects must be passed with a minimum of 50%.
- Completed N2 certificate with compulsory subjects including Mathematics, Diesel Trade Theory, Engineering Science, and Industrial Electronics.
- All subjects must be passed with a minimum of 50%.
- A valid EC license (with or without PDP) will be an advantage.
- Applicants must be between 18 – 30 years old.
- Preference will be given to previously disadvantaged groups.
- Candidates must be physically fit and prepared to undergo a medical examination.
- Monthly stipend.
- Fixed 3-year contract.
- Technical classroom and workshop-based training.
- Applicants must fulfill the eligibility criteria specified for each option.
- Successful completion of a medical examination.
- EC license (advantageous).
- Candidates must be physically fit.
How to Apply:
To apply for the Volvo Group Southern Africa Apprenticeships 2023/2024, please click here. Ensure that you submit your application online and clearly state your preferred location. Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete and sign personal verification permissions, consent, and indemnity declarations as part of the application process. These declarations may include reference, criminal, credit, qualification, and vetting checks as deemed necessary for the position.
The deadline for job applications has not been informed yet.
For further inquiries, please contact Volvo Group Southern Africa (Pty) Ltd at:
Volvo Group Southern Africa (Pty) Ltd is an affirmative action, equal employment opportunity employer. They encourage people with disabilities to apply and value data privacy, hence applications via mail are not accepted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com