Website Ann's Home Care
Ann’s Home Care – Kitchen Assistant
Ann’s Home Care is a family-run business established in 1994, dedicated to providing quality care services. Our commitment to excellence has earned us a longstanding reputation in the industry. With a focus on putting the needs of our clients at the heart of everything we do, we have become a trusted choice for families and caregivers seeking high-quality care services.
Mission and Values: Our mission at Ann’s Home Care is to be the best in everything we do. We strive to create an environment where families and caregivers choose us with confidence, knowing that we are dedicated to delivering exceptional care. Our values center around compassion, integrity, and a commitment to maintaining the highest standards in care services.
Services: Ann’s Care Homes offer a range of services designed to meet the diverse needs of our clients. Whether in a residential care setting or another facility, our teams of dedicated and trained staff work tirelessly to ensure the well-being and comfort of those under our care.
Reputation: Over the years, Ann’s Home Care has built a solid reputation for the delivery of quality care. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in the positive feedback we receive from clients, families, and caregivers. We take pride in our ability to create a supportive and nurturing environment for those entrusted to our care.
Job Positions/Locations/Ref Numbers: We are currently seeking full-time Kitchen Assistants to join our team at Laganvale Care Home in Moria, Limpopo. The position is for 30 hours per week.
A kitchen assistant, also known as a kitchen helper or kitchen support, plays a crucial role in the smooth functioning of a kitchen, whether it’s in a restaurant, care home, hotel, or any other food service establishment. The responsibilities of a kitchen assistant are diverse, encompassing various tasks to ensure the kitchen operates efficiently. Here is an overview of the kitchen assistant profession in general:
**1. Role and Responsibilities:
- Food Preparation: Kitchen assistants assist in preparing meals by chopping, peeling, and cutting ingredients. They may also be involved in assembling dishes and following recipes provided by the chef or kitchen manager.
- Food Handling and Storage: Ensuring compliance with food hygiene regulations, kitchen assistants handle and store food appropriately. This includes keeping track of expiration dates, proper storage of perishable items, and maintaining cleanliness in storage areas.
- Serving: In some settings, kitchen assistants may serve meals and beverages to customers or residents. This involves understanding portion sizes, presentation, and adhering to any specific dietary requirements.
- Communication: Kitchen assistants often communicate with chefs, cooks, and other kitchen staff to coordinate tasks effectively. They may also interact with customers or residents to gather feedback on the food quality and service.
- Cleaning and Maintenance: Maintaining cleanliness is a significant part of a kitchen assistant’s role. This includes cleaning work surfaces, equipment, dishes, and utensils. Kitchen assistants may also be responsible for cleaning floors and disposing of waste.
- Organizational Tasks: From preparing meal trays to laying tables and clearing them after meals, kitchen assistants contribute to the overall organization of the kitchen. This may involve loading and transporting meal trolleys to and from dining areas.
- Inventory Management: Keeping track of kitchen inventory, ordering food and kitchen supplies, and checking the temperature of appliances like fridges and freezers are part of the assistant’s responsibilities.
2. Skills and Qualities:
- Basic Literacy and Numeracy: Kitchen assistants should have fundamental literacy and numeracy skills to follow recipes, measure ingredients, and perform basic calculations.
- Physical Stamina: The role often involves standing for extended periods, lifting heavy items, and performing various physically demanding tasks.
- Teamwork: Kitchen assistants collaborate with chefs, cooks, and other staff members, requiring effective communication and the ability to work as part of a team.
- Attention to Detail: Precise measurement, accurate food handling, and maintaining cleanliness require a keen eye for detail.
- Adaptability: Kitchen environments can be fast-paced and dynamic, so adaptability to changing circumstances and a willingness to take on various tasks are essential.
3. Career Progression:
- Training Opportunities: Some kitchen assistants may have the opportunity to pursue training programs, such as obtaining an NVQ2 in Catering or other relevant certifications.
- Specialization: With experience, kitchen assistants may specialize in particular areas, such as pastry preparation, salad preparation, or catering for specific dietary needs.
- Advancement: Advancement within the culinary field is possible, with individuals moving on to roles such as line cook, chef de partie, or pursuing further education to become a chef.
4. Work Environment:
- Kitchen assistants work in a variety of settings, including restaurants, hotels, care homes, hospitals, catering companies, and other food service establishments.
- Work hours may vary, including evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the operational hours of the kitchen or establishment.
Benefits: Joining Ann’s Home Care comes with a range of benefits, including:
- A friendly and dedicated team
- Competitive rates of pay
- Free uniform
- Four-weekly pay
- Holiday pay
- Paid Access NI Check
- All practical and online training paid
- Flexible working hours to suit your personal lifestyle
- Immediate interviews offered
Eligibility: The successful candidate must meet the following essential criteria:
- Basic numeracy and literacy skills
- Willingness to work towards an NVQ2 in Catering
- Basic knowledge of Catering & Food Hygiene Regulations
- Basic knowledge of the operation of kitchen equipment
- COSHH/Health and Safety knowledge
- Previous experience in catering (preferable in a care setting, but not essential)
Requirements: Candidates should be prepared to:
- Assist in the preparation of nutritious, well-balanced, and attractive meals
- Handle and store food in accordance with Food Hygiene regulations
- Serve meals and drinks to the residents (dependent upon service)
- Communicate with residents to ensure satisfaction with the prepared meals
- Use cleaning materials in accordance with COSHH regulations
- Blend food as required
- Prepare meal trays, lay tables, collect trays, and clear tables after meal times
- Load up trolleys for meal times and transport to and from the dining room(s)
- Clean all work surfaces, equipment, fridges, ovens, and floors, and store items correctly
- Ensure store rooms are well organized and clean
- Wash crockery and cutlery or stack the dishwasher
- Check the temperature of the fridge and freezer daily
- Order food and kitchen equipment
- Take delivery of food
- Ensure that food is used before the expiry date
- Refill cereal, sugar containers, etc.
- Ensure that cleaning rotas are maintained and adhered to
- Take residents to the dining room(s) (dependent upon service)
- Hoover the dining room (dependent upon service)
- Perform any other duty as specified by the Chef to ensure the kitchen runs smoothly
How to Apply: To find out more about the position or to apply, call our recruitment team on 02838853818. Alternatively, you can click “apply now,” and we will be in touch if you meet our requirements.
Closing Date: We reserve the right to enhance the criteria at the shortlisting stage.
Official Contact: For any inquiries or further information, please contact us at [Email Address], [Phone Number], or visit our official website at [Website URL].
To apply for this job please visit www.anns.co.uk.